A Arte de Estar Presente!

Beyond the Basket: Rising Above Your Comfort Zone


"Sit tight, here comes the story"

When Lila was in her mid-thirties, she was a successful sales manager at a tech company, but she felt unchallenged and uninspired. When the company announced an internal promotion for a global position, Lila saw an opportunity to break out of her comfort zone. She had experience working with global teams and was confident in her leadership abilities, but she doubted her influence skills. The team had been under the same manager for the past five years, and Lila knew her vision differed significantly from her predecessor’s. She understood that earning the team’s buy-in and getting them to embrace her new leadership style would require considerable effort.

Despite her doubts, Lila decided to apply for the position. When she was offered the role, she was thrilled but also nervous about the challenges ahead. Determined to succeed, she dove into the new role with enthusiasm. She spent time getting to know each team member, understanding their concerns, and building trust. She openly communicated her vision and gradually introduced changes, ensuring the team was involved in the process.

There were setbacks along the way. Some team members were resistant to change, and Lila faced moments of self-doubt. However, she persisted, leveraging her strengths and continuously seeking feedback to improve. She also sought mentorship from colleagues who had successfully navigated similar transitions.

Over time, Lila's efforts began to pay off. The team started to see the value in her approach and began to embrace the new direction. Productivity improved, and a renewed sense of energy and innovation infused the team. Lila realized that stepping out of her comfort zone had not only allowed her to grow as a leader but also positively impacted her team's performance and morale.

Looking back, Lila understood the importance of challenging herself and taking risks. Her journey demonstrated that getting out of your comfort zone was essential for her personal and professional growth. It allowed her to discover new strengths, adapt to change, and achieve goals she had never thought possible.

Let’s talk about this:

This week, my 9-year-old son surprised us all by taking on a role in a play. As a naturally shy boy, the idea of singing and performing in front of a large audience seemed daunting. Yet, he bravely auditioned and secured a part, filling me with immense pride. Witnessing his performance yesterday was truly inspiring. Despite his initial nerves, once he stepped onto the stage, he radiated joy and confidence. His willingness to step out of his comfort zone, usually preferring to remain in the background, left me bursting with pride and happiness.

Being within our comfort zone is safe, familiar, predictable, and, of course, comfortable. Why leave it, then?

Let’s consider a hot air balloon tethered to the ground. The basket represents our comfort zone, where we feel safe and secure, surrounded by familiarity and routine. The ropes symbolize limitations, keeping the balloon grounded and preventing it from exploring new heights, just like the limitations we impose on ourselves or encounter in our surroundings, hindering us from having new experiences and reaching new heights. The balloon embodies our potential and the exciting opportunities that await us beyond our comfort zone.

For the balloon to ascend to new heights, we must cut the ropes. Similarly, to break free from our comfort zones and soar to new heights, we must release our fears and embrace the unknown. As we rise, initial discomfort gives way to beautiful views and a feeling of freedom, signifying personal growth and fresh perspectives.

Stepping out of our comfort zones requires intentional efforts to challenge ourselves and welcome new experiences. If we seek different outcomes and aim for personal and professional growth, we must venture beyond what is comfortable, safe, and predictable.

What has worked for me in the past is to start small. I take small, manageable steps outside my comfort zone. For example, one time I wasn't feeling challenged at work, so I decided to challenge myself to relearn how to play the piano and be able to play Chopin's Nocturne. It gave me the satisfaction of trying something that I hadn't done in the last 20 years. I failed for months, but I set small goals that made the whole experience less intimidating (two lines of sheet music each month). Eventually, I succeeded in playing Nocturne, and the satisfaction of facing this challenge was priceless.

Changing my routine is another thing that helps me to challenge myself out of my comfort zone. I just attended my first leadership summit in my new job this week, and it was enlightening to hear and observe other leaders' styles. I have already started to incorporate a few things that I learned this week into the way I organize my tasks. But as soon as I start trying these new things, discomfort sets in, and I just need to embrace it. I acknowledge that discomfort is a natural part of growth. I keep reminding myself that reframing it is a sign that I am expanding my horizons and learning new things.

One huge danger to fall into when trying to get out of your comfort zone is listening to negative thoughts. It is important that we silence our self critic, recognize, and counteract the negative self-talk that holds us back. It is a constant effort to replace these thoughts with positive affirmations and focus on our strengths.

There is no way to venture out of our comfort zone if we are not willing to take calculated risks. We need to keep pushing our boundaries, even if progress feels slow at times. While I am taking risks, feeling discomfort, and navigating unfamiliar waters, I like to connect and surround myself with people who encourage and inspire me. Their support provides motivation and confidence as I step out of my comfort zone.

What excellence looks like:

  • We commit to lifelong learning by attending workshops, reading books, taking courses, or simply engaging in activities that broaden our knowledge and skills.

  • We understand that stepping out of our comfort zone is a continuous process. 

  • We keep pushing our boundaries, even if progress feels slow at times.

  • We reflect on our experiences. After trying something new, we take time to reflect on what we learned and how we felt. These insights will guide our future efforts.

​​Food for Thought:


"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving." by Albert Einstein.


Call for action:


Pick one thing that is small, but still an achievable challenge that will push you slightly out of your comfort zone. Keep in mind that failure is a part of growth and learning. Don't let fear of failure hold you back.Then, picture yourself succeeding in this new challenge. This will boost your confidence and motivation.


Resources:


  • Daring Greatly by Brené Brown 

Comments

  1. Lu, esse post mexe bastante comigo já que sou uma pessoa que gosto do que é safe and predictable. A minha self critique eh sempre de forma negativa, em vez de confiar na minha capacidade e muitas vezes nos proprios instintos de que o desafio é importante para o aprendizado e crescimento. Eu comecei com meus pequenos passos a poucos meses, me desafiando a cuidar mais da minha saúde com exercícios e alimentação. Esse passo me trouxe uma dedicação mais positiva no trabalho e com minha família. Essa pequena mudanca me motivou a buscar um novo goal e estudar espanhol. “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”—Lao Tzu. Note: congratulations para o seu menino lindo ! Beijos, sua fã, Zuca

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment