Lessons from My Young Self


This week, I’m traveling for work and decided to do something different with my post. I want to share the reflections I’ve been having during this trip. Hopefully, this can be insightful for you—or at least relatable for my girlfriends from the ‘80s and earlier. :)

In the last decade, I've come to realize that time has passed too quickly for me. Perhaps it's because I have small kids, and watching them grow and change is a constant reminder that time flies. Or maybe it's because when I look around at my co-workers and teams, I see a new generation of young women, which makes me realize it's been a while since I was the young woman in the room.

When I was in my late twenties, I had to change careers after deciding to move to the United States, and it was so freaking hard to do that. It had already been a challenge during my teens to decide what I wanted to be when I grew up. Then, once I found myself happy with the career I had chosen (Speech Coach/Therapist), I challenged myself to experience living abroad. I hadn’t expected to meet my “now husband” in the United States and end up living here permanently, so once again, I found myself searching for a new career.

Going through that career change was one of the hardest times in my life, especially because it required me to start from zero in a country where I didn’t understand the language, the corporate world, or the intricacies of its culture. Those times were extremely emotional and physically demanding, but I had the energy, motivation, support, and determination to conquer the world. In hindsight, I now see how valuable that lesson was: we need to be open to change. I’ve learned that career paths are rarely linear. It’s crucial to embrace new opportunities and to pivot when necessary. Flexibility can lead to unexpected and rewarding career moves.

As I reflect on these lessons during my travels, I'm reminded of the power of mentorship—how I longed for someone to guide me, to reassure me that everything would work out. I would have loved my “imaginary mentor” to tell me that my mistakes would make me stronger, that I needed to embrace lifelong learning and not to be an “instant gratification seeker”wanting responses here and now. I would’ve loved for her to tell me to stand up for myself, be assertive, and advocate for my own needs and career goals. When I was struggling with which path to follow, I wish she had told me to follow my passion, encouraging me to pursue work that excited me and aligned with my goals. Passion fuels perseverance (now I know that), and it can lead to more fulfilling lives.

At that time, I remember desperately looking for a role model, a mentor—someone who could teach me, guide me, or at least boost my confidence and reassure me that everything would work out. Of all the lessons I wish my “imaginary mentor” had told me, the one I came to learn the hard way was not to be afraid to fail! If only I had known that failure was part of the journey. It is through our mistakes and setbacks that we learn and grow the most. This knowledge and acceptance of it has given me so much peace and brought lightness to my personal and professional life. It feels so good to let go of seeking perfection and to embrace my imperfections. If I had known all of this then, it would have saved me so many anxiety crises, sleepless nights, and stressful days.

As the plane takes off to my next destination to meet other teammates, I reflect on the amazing days I had in Moldova and the power of the conversations we had, not only the strategic work discussions but also the parallel conversations that happened during breaks, walks, and sips of Moldova’s wonderful wine selection.

I met some wonderful young female professionals full of dreams, wishes, and hope, but also with insecurities and questions about themselves and the value of their contributions. For me, talking to them was a breath of fresh air, a reminder that I should dream more, too. Adult life’s busy routines, responsibilities, and demands push us away from dreaming more, and hearing about these young women’s dreams was a wake-up call for me. Of course, our dreams differ, while for them, dreams might mean a promotion they’ve been waiting for or a beautiful wedding they’ve been planning. For me, it’s about dreaming of a better work-life balance and finding time to live my purpose. Regardless of what we dream about, dreams, goals, and aspirations keep us alive. The pursuit of our dreams brings joy, energy, and fulfillment to our lives.

I am thankful for what my team gave me this week, and I hope that I also left something for them: a seed of self-assurance, a light, a new perspective. May our conversations ignite their confidence, determination, and certainty that all the work they’re doing, both professionally and on themselves, will pay off.

May they embrace early on that mistakes are inevitable and learn from them. Let them follow their passion while staying open to flexibility when needed. I encourage them to challenge themselves to step out of their comfort zone. Most importantly, may they confidently speak up for their wants and needs, set their boundaries, honor their limits, and savor the journey toward success. Often, the journey can be far more fulfilling than the final destination.

If we keep dreaming, we will always have the opportunity to enjoy the journey while conquering those dreams, making our lives constantly fun, enjoyable, and fulfilling.

“Please ensure that all portable electronic devices are set to airplane mode or turned off. Larger devices, such as laptops, should be stowed securely in the seat pocket in front of you or in an overhead bin. Thank you!"

Time to go… May our younger selves continue teaching us so we can continue growing as professionals and better human beings. I hope to be that voice for others and invite my 80s and earlier’s friends to do the same. Let’s encourage the young female professionals to embrace their passions, learn from their failures, and never be afraid to dream big.



Comments